27A Reading Reflection No.3

Guy Kawasaki, The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
This book acknowledges the enormous presence that social media has managed to maintain throughout current society. It focuses on diverse ways to improve your own social media presence through more captivating posts step-by-step with over a hundred useful tips.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
As someone who works in the digital marketing industry, it was clear to me how the tips in this book directly relate to the work I have completed for ENT3003. In order for my blockchain service to gain a strong brand name with college students, I will need to aggressively promote on social media. Using these tips, I am confident that I can convey information about my service while still providing engaging content across several different social media platforms.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
For a class-based exercise, I would ask each student to choose 3 posts from their choice of social media account (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Now using the tips & tools laid out in the book, I would ask the students to try to recreate these posts in a way that would be more engaging to the audience. Whether through eye-catching edits, creative captions, or landmark locations, the student will get the chance to look at their own posts from a new perspective.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
What surprised me most was the strategy of curating content from other users in order to fill the void of constant content on your own page. I have created hundreds upon hundreds of promotion posts for various hotels and so it was interesting to learn that many companies do not place such emphasis on personal content creation.

Comments

  1. Hi Mitchell,
    I also read this book and am so happy I did. Promoting your business on social media is so important now-a-days. I love your exercise idea and think that students would really learn from it. It is so challenging to come up with an effective post. I feel like students would have a hard time with it, but would learn and grow a lot. They would also realize just how much time and effort goes into each post that a business does. Great job on this assignment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment